Carbon monoxid poisoning

Posted by: Judit

2016-03-03

0 comments

Carbon monoxide poisoning is the most common type of poisoning worldwide. Every year, more and more people die from CO poisoning caused by gas appliances that have not been properly installed, maintained or that are poorly ventilated.

What is carbon monoxid?

Carbon monoxide is a gas that comes from incompletely burning gas, wood, propane, or a number of other fuels. Carbon monoxide is present in smoke, motor exhaust and smog, just to name a few. The source of CO are fuel-burning appliances such as furnaces, ranges, water heaters and room heaters; engine-powered equipment such as portable generators; fireplaces; and charcoal that is burned in homes and other enclosed areas, or non-consumer products, such as cars left running in closed garages.

Carbon monoxide is a toxic (poisonous) gas, butncolorless, odorless, tasteless, and initially non-irritating.

What are the symptoms of poisoning?

Carbon monoxide poisoning occurs after too much inhalation of carbon monoxide and it is hard to diagnose. It’s easier to recognize carbon monoxide poisoning when more than one person in the home or the school, the office, the car, etc. also show symptoms.

Symptoms of mild acute poisoning look a lot like the flu and include lightheadedness, confusion, headache, vertigo. This insidious gas affects each person a little differently, so unless healthcare providers suspect carbon monoxide poisoning, they’re likely to overlook it.

Larger exposures can lead to significant toxicity of the central nervous system and heart, and death. Chronic exposure to low levels of carbon monoxide can lead to depression, confusion, and memory loss.

Treatment of poisoning largely consists of administering 100% oxygen or providing hyperbaric oxygen therapy. Oxygen works as an antidote as it increases the removal of carbon monoxide from hemoglobin, in turn providing the body with normal levels of oxygen.

Prevention is key to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning

  • Schedule annual checks for your heating appliances, including oil and gas furnaces, gas heating, fire places and chimneys.
  • Ensure that all boiler tubes and chimneys are in good conditions and not blocked.
  • Never leave your car engine running in the garage, even when the garage door is open.
  • Do not use a gas stove to heat your home, not even for a short time.
  • Never use a charcoal barbecues indoors.
  • If you have gas heating, sleep with the windows open.
  • Do not use machinery using petrol indoors, including lawn-mowers, chainsaws, or other small machinery.
  • Install and maintain all household appliances properly
  • Install CO detectors in every room with appliances at home. I

If you are looking to buy CO detectors, you can find it here:  CO detectors

CO-AlarmX10-D
CO alarm

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CAPTCHA Code * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.

You may also like these products